Good Things Day
If you remember, a fortune cookie promised me good things today. I was not inclined to let this fortune cookie get away with its loose pronouncements, so I’ve kept track of the date, and today is it.
Fact: That was Nov. 4, 2011
So OK, I’m not going to come out and call it Bad Things Day, but let’s look at the evidence:
1) I had to get up at 6:30 a.m. and go to work on a Saturday
2) I tripped on a curb getting out of the car and FELL DOWN
3) My son seriously choked on a tortilla chip at dinner
This is not looking good for you, fortune cookie. I almost never have to work weekends, and I do everything in my power to avoid the entire 6 a.m. hour. I can’t remember the last time I actually fell down, and my son has never choked before, ever in his almost-4 years.
1) The work thing went well, and there were cookies there
2) I fell in a rolling fashion into soft groundcover and didn’t get hurt at all
3) My son is OK. We were terrified for a minute, but his airway wasn’t totally blocked, my husband expeditiously Heimliched him, and he is fine. Twenty minutes later he was gleefully running laps on the sidewalk. Thank you, universe, he is fine.
Or thank you, fortune cookie. Whatever. If that was my good thing, I’ll take it. Kind of a jerk move, to make the first thing happen so I could be glad about the second thing, but yeah, whatever. I’ll take it.